Tuesday, December 16, 2014

What's For Dinner? - Salmon

I am not a fish fan at all.  Since my cholesterol test came back with my LDL pretty high, it was time to change our eating habits.  Most things I already do: use olive oil and canola oil, take fish oil pills, meat is mostly chicken breasts or low fat hamburger,  egg whites, low fat cheese.   My downfall: donuts, cake, brownies, candy, ice cream, lots of cheese etc.   
So we have, for almost 2 weeks now, made a conscience effort to change even more and EVERYONE participate.  
Tonight I made salmon.  Pumpkin Pie is here for a visit and she loves salmon.  Mr. Man and BubbyDooDoo Bear never had tried it before.  It was a big hit!!! (well for everyone but me. I had made some chicken.)

I made two different recipes...well I say "recipes" loosely.  I looked up a few different ways of baking salmon and then did my own tweaking, as usual. 

1. Maple salmon:  real maple syrup, low sodium soy sauce, minced garlic, black pepper.   Marinate for 1 hour before cooking.  I covered a cookie sheet with Reynold's Wrap non-stick aluminum foil and then sprayed it with olive oil. Placed the fish and covered it.  Baked them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.
2. Garlic and Herb buttered salmon:  minced garlic, herbs, half a stick of melted butter, pepper.  I poured this over each piece of fish and made sure there were herbs and garlic on each.  Did the same thing with a cookie sheet, foil, and covering.  Baked them in the oven for 350 for 20 minutes. 

For a side dish we had some delicious roasted veggies.  We like  cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms and only I like Brussels sprouts. We chop up all the veggies, drizzle with olive oil, minced garlic, seasonings, stir, and put in olive oiled sprayed baking dishes.  Oven is at 350, stirring around every 10-15 minutes for about 45 minutes.   Yummy!!! 

Here were the results.  Didn't think of a picture until Pumpkin Pie had eaten some of her salmon..but we got one before it was all gone!!