Friday, November 21, 2014

Literate and Create - The Runaway Pumpkin

During my Literate and Create class a few weeks ago in our co-op, I chose this fun language, action packed, silly book: The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis.












It was so much fun to read and hear the kids giggling as this pumpkin came :

'round and 'round
across the ground
makin' a thumpin'
bumpin' sound
came that thumpety,
bumpety
thumpin'
bumpin'
round and rolly
runaway pumpkin!

For the craft, we made yarn pumpkins.


The idea for this came from Enchanted Homeschooling Mom's blog.

These were easy to make, but pretty messy.   BubbyDooDoo Bear's and Mr. Man's did not come out as they had NO patience to wait until the yarn dried completely.  I found the key was to make sure to "squeeze" out the glue from the yarn as much as you could, so that they will dry quicker.   Enchanted Homeschooling Mom has step by step directions.  Thank goodness!!!  


As I was looking for images for The Runaway Pumpkin book, I found a mini science, math and ELA unit based on the book.  I DID NOT USE IT, but it looks very cute...and it is FREE!   Check it out at First Grade W.O.W blog.